Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sun Strangeness

I'm currently watching the webcast of Jonathon Schwartz's recent product announcement. What's particularly interesting is that he claims that Solaris is being run mostly on Dell hardware now, not on Sun hardware. The next two most popular platforms for Solaris are HP and IBM. Sun's own hardware is forth in popularity for running Solaris.

Conversely, from other sources I've heard that of the x64 hardware that Sun sells, 80% of it is used to run OSes other than Solaris.

It's not completely clear to me what this all means, but I'm not sure that is good.

On the bright side, Sun's new products look excellent, especially Thumper. Forty-eight hot-swappable 500GB hard drives plus a four core NFS server, all in one 4U rack-mount enclosure. I'll take two!

No comments: